Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What this be

Oh, hello there.

I like movies.  I've been watching movies seriously for close to twenty years now (note: by "seriously" I mean knowing who directors are, etc; I'm not one of those people who analyze films, appreciating the mise en scene and all that) and over the years have amassed a large collection of DVDs.  I have roughly seven hundred now.

I like buying DVDs, but I rarely get around to watching them.  Look at my collection and you will most likely see a fair amount unopened.  I buy them so that I can watch them at my leisure, which is probably why I don't rent DVDs.  I don't want the pressure of having to watch them by a certain date.

Looking at my DVDs, I notice that there are quite a few films that I've never actually seen before.  This, then, was what made me decide to do what I'm planning to do in 2010.

In 2010 I want to attempt to watch 365 films.  This is not original - plenty of people have attempted to do it.  I haven't taken any interest in these people so I don't know if they were successful or not.  It sounds very doable though.

The rules, then:

  1. I will start off with the films that I haven't watched yet.  Looking at a DVD rack now I can see that I will watch the following first up:  The Dam Busters, Jules et Jim, Scarface (Brian De Palma version), American Splendor, Fiddler on the Roof, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Blow, Once Upon a Time ni the West and Half Nelson.
  2. I won't be watching one film per day.  Some days I just won't be able to - I do have TV commitments, after all - so this will be an attempt to watch 365 films in a year.  I could watch seven films over a weekend which means I won't have to watch anything until the following weekend.  This, I agree, could backfire if I don't watch anything for quite a while.  I don't want to come around to December and be 150 films behind.
  3. If I see a film at the cinema, which I rarely do these days, then it will count.  Of course.
  4. I'm not a film critic so I won't be writing detailed reviews on each film.  I'll just sum up my thoughts.  I will try and make this more than "great film" or "meh" but I can't promise anything.
  5. Oh - once I finish the films I haven't seen before I'll then start on the films I have seen.  Obviously.  Might even do theme weeks and the like, but probably not.
I will also be posting my general thoughts on movie news and such when I feel like it.  You know, so that there might actually be something interesting to read.  Yeah.

Anyway, there you go.  I hope I stick to it, and I hope someone follows it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment