Friday, January 1, 2010

Top twenty-four of the decade

Maybe I'm a year early with this, but everyone else is assuming that the decade ended on December 31, 2009, so I'll just go with the flow. I'm cool with that.

Here, then, is my list of my twenty-four favourite films of the decade. There seems to be some unwritten list of films doing the rounds on the Internet which everyone is supposed to include on their top twenty-fours... I'm just going by the comments I see on various blogs advising the mistakes various bloggers and critics have made in compiling their lists by including, or omitting, particular films. Thankfully nobody reads this blog yet so I'm pleased to advise that the film snobs would have a coronary if they saw this.

These aren't the critical powerhouses of the decade.  These aren't the ones it's cool to like.  These are just the films that I couldn't imagine not seeing again.  I love them.

Onwards, then.




My absolute favourite was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.  I went in not knowing much at all about it except that it starred Robert Downey, Jr. and Val Kilmer.  It's now in my top two of all time, interchangable with Paths of Glory as my all-time favourite.

The others, then, in no real order:

Once
Children of Men
The Constant Gardener
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Unbreakable
The 25th Hour
There Will Be Blood
Almost Famous
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Adaptation
City of God
Kill Bill Vol 2
Before Sunset
The Lives of Others
Wonder Boys
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
In Bruges
Bad Santa
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
The Bourne Supremacy

I would be very sad if someone told me I couldn't watch one of these films ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment